INFORMATION ABOUT THE TURKEY E-VISA FOR TRANSIT
- The Turkish eVisa is valid to transit through a Turkish airport and also to visit the country. The maximum stay is between 30 and 90 days, depending on the nationality of the holder.
- Single and multiple-entry visas are also issued based on the country of citizenship.
- The Turkish eVisa for transit is accepted at all international airports. Istanbul Airport is Turkey’s largest airport with many passengers passing through in transit.
- Travelers who wish to leave the airport between flights must show their approved visa when passing through immigration.
- Passengers who are not eligible for the Turkish eVisa need to apply for a visa to transit through the embassy or consulate.
HOW LONG DOES A TURKEY TRANSIT VISA TAKE?
Turkey e-Visa processing is fast, successful applicants receive their approved visa within 24 hours. However, it is recommended that travelers apply at least 72 hours ahead of their scheduled trip to Turkey.
Travelers who need their transit visa urgently can apply using the priority service and receive the visa in 1 hour.
The approved transit visa is sent to the applicants by email. A printed copy should be carried when traveling.
TRANSIT IN TURKEY DURING COVID-19
Most foreigners may transit in Turkey during the COVID-19 travel restrictions provided they are not subject to an entry ban.
Coronavirus entry requirements do not apply to passengers who will stay in the airport between their connecting flights. However, all travelers who will leave the airport and enter Turkey must have a:
- Negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before departure
- Completed Form for Entry to Turkey
Conveniently, the Form for Entry to Turkey can be completed and submitted together with the online Turkish visa application. Alternatively, travelers can submit the health form here.
All passengers must check the latest entry requirements before taking a flight to Turkey during the current COVID-19 restrictions.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A TURKEY TRANSIT VISA?
Applying for a Turkey transit visa is a simple process. People who meet the Turkey eVisa requirements can complete an online application from their home or office.
Travelers need to provide some essential biographical details such as their full name, date, and place of birth, and contact details.
All applicants need to fill in their passport number and the passport issue and expiry date. Before submitting the application it is recommended that travelers revise their details as mistakes could cause processing delays.
The Turkey visa fees are paid securely online using a debit or credit card.
DO I NEED A TURKEY TRANSIT VISA?
Transfer and transit passengers with long layovers in Turkey may like to make the most of their time and visit the area surrounding the airport.
Istanbul Airport (IST) is under an hour from the city center. Travelers with long waits between connecting flights can spend a few hours visiting Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city.
To do so, foreign citizens must apply for a Turkish visa for transit unless they are from a visa-free nation.
Citizens of most countries can apply for the transit visa for Turkey online. It takes just a few minutes to complete the Turkey eVisa application form and submit the request. If the traveler is connecting to another flight and will remain at the airport, they are not required to apply for a transit visa.
WHO NEEDS TRANSIT VISA?
Travelers need a transit visa for Turkey if they will leave the airport. Transit passengers who wish to visit the city must have a visa, even if they will only stay for a few hours.
A visa is not required if the passenger will remain inside the transit area of the airport.
This article explains how to apply online for a Turkish visa for transit and transfer passengers.